Knowing how to do research well is an important skill for your career development. A successful student uses the Media Center resources often and learns to use them well.
How can you be successful doing research in the Media Center?
- Take responsibility for your assignment. Plan ahead and know the deadlines required.
- Be sure you understand the assignment. Talk to your teacher more about it if you do not.
- Be prepared to work. Have your assignment sheet with you and have a good attitude about the task required.
- Understand the time commitment that good research requires and schedule accordingly.
- Develop a list of keywords for searches.
- Use technology responsibly and ethically. Do not plagiarize your work. Save your work in several places.
- Ask questions and seek help often from the Media Center staff.
Steps in the research process:
- Define your task and identify the information you need.
- Determine all possible sources of information and select the best ones.
- Locate the sources of information and find what you need within them.
- Extract the most relevant information for your assignment.
- Organize and decide how to best present your information you have found.
- Evaluate your final product before you submit it.
The Academic Research Guide is your complete reference for creating a high-quality research product. Read it and refer to it often.