APS is pleased to release the 2019-20 and 2020-21 district conventional calendars.
In fall 2018, APS convened a Calendar Committee that included staff, parents and school leaders. At the Jan. 8 APS Board of Education meeting, the committee recommended calendars that are responsive to supporting student achievement.
The Board approved both calendars at the Jan. 22 meeting. Below are a few highlights for the 2019-20 school year.
- First Days of School: Students in grades 1-12 will have a simultaneous start on Aug. 6. As we have done in the past, preschool and kindergarten students will start school the following week on Aug. 12.
- Full-Day Professional Release: APS eliminated the half-day student early release to ensure uninterrupted learning. There are now five full professional release days held Sept. 27, Oct. 21, Dec. 6, Jan. 6 and Feb. 28, in addition to the district in-service day on Jan. 31.
- Fall Break: APS will continue to have a full-week Fall Break held Oct. 14-18 with Oct. 11 and 21 slated as student non-contact days. It occurs at the end of first quarter to ensure uninterrupted learning.
- Thanksgiving Break: APS will maintain a three-day Thanksgiving Break for students. It will be held Nov. 28-29 with Nov. 27 slated as a student non-contact day.
- Winter Break: APS will continue to hold Winter Break at the end of December and the beginning of January. It will be held Dec. 23 through Jan. 3 with Dec. 20 and Jan. 6 slated as student non-contact days.
- Spring Break: APS moved Spring Break from the last week of March to the third week of March. It will be held March 16-20.
Adjustments, such as the first days of school, were made to the 2020-21 district conventional calendar to accommodate for the leap year.
Please visit aurorak12.org/calendars to view the calendars, noting that individual school calendars may vary. Parents are encouraged to check with their child’s school for specific calendar information.